FIRST DAY 2023
COUNTDOWN TO FIRST DAY!
We are so excited to see you for the start of the 2023-2024 school year! Here are some important reminders as you prepare for our first day of school on TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5!
FIRST DAY REMINDERS & FAQ’S:
(NEW FAMILIES, be sure to scroll to the end!)
PROGRAMMING FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS
8:00AM – Parent Prayer Walk (flagpole)
join us to cover the Main Campus in prayer!
9:00AM – Food Services, Athletics & Communication Orientation (dining room)
set up lunch payment, learn about Athletics, find out about staying informed on the LCA Portal News Feed, and more
10:00AM – Convocation Ceremony (Cross Center)
11:00AM – All-Parents Meeting with LCA Leadership (Cross Center)
FIRST day schedule
All students should arrive between 7:30 and 7:45 AM.
Enter through the main entrance, and you will be directed to your House location.
Over the course of the morning students will:
- Get their yearbook/student ID photo taken
- Meet their House Leaders & classmates
- Get lockers and locker combinations
- Open the year with worship and prayer
Parents are welcome!
- 9th grade students will participate in a special orientation program from 12:00 – 2:30 (lunch provided)
- NEWLY ENROLLED (transfer) 10th and 11th graders will participate in a special orientation program from 12:00 – 2:00 (lunch provided)
- Some Upper School Athletes will participate in pre-season practice after Convocation Day has concluded (athletes must bring their own lunch)
all other students should be picked up by 12:00 PM.
supply lists (grades 6-9)
MIDDLE SCHOOL SUPPLIES:
GRADE 9 SUPPLIES:
There is no set list of supplies for upper schoolers, but 9th graders are encouraged to purchase:
- A different color binder for each academic subject
- A notebook or loose-leaf paper inside of each binder for class note-taking
- Different colored highlighters
- Pens/pencils and case to hold them
- Small magnets to hang your child’s schedule and reminder notes inside his/her locker
- Optional locker shelves can also aid in organization of school materials
All students in grades 8-12 must “Bring Your Own Device” (B.Y.O.D.) to school every day. Students usually have a Windows laptop, Apple MacBook, or Chromebook. Be sure you can log in successfully to your Portal and email accounts from your own device before orientation on Convocation Day. If you need assistance acquiring a device, please speak with our IT department (firstname.lastname@example.org)
what do i wear on the first day of school?
Dress up! Remember, it’s picture day!*
From the LCA Family Handbook:
Attire for Formal Occasions, including First Day and Class Day:
- For young men, formal dress includes a dress shirt, tie, or dress pants (no jeans or shorts), shoes, and socks.
- For young women, formal dress includes either a dress, or a skirt or dress pants and a blouse, and dress shoes.
* 9th graders, please bring casual clothes with you to change into before we move on to orientation.
lockers (grades 7-12)
Locker dimensions are all 58” H x 12” W x 12” L (see photo here). Some students have slightly wider lockers, but all have the same upper shelf and hooks for backpack/clothing. We recommend locker shelves for organizing books, bringing some small magnets or sticking a dry-erase board to the inside of your locker for important reminders, hanging up your schedule, and writing notes to yourself.
Your House Leader will assign you a locker number and combination, and you’ll have some time to locate it and put your stuff inside on First Day.
We will only be providing lunch for transfer students and 9th graders at the start of their special orientation programming.
All other students (including athletes with afternoon practice) must bring their own lunch.
Full lunch service for all students begins on Wednesday, September 6.
new families: tech faq's
What is the Portal?
The “Portal” is LCA’s online central repository of information. Homework assignments, class handouts, your grades, teacher comments, and various forms/permission slips are all found on the Portal. You’ll soon find yourself asking your teachers, “Is this on the Portal?” Parents and students have separate Portal accounts with slightly different content. Account setup instructions are sent out directly from our IT department. Be sure to try logging into the Portal before the first day of school!
What will my school email be, and when do I get access to it?
Your email address is your email@example.com Email is the main way your teachers will communicate with you. Be sure to log in and know how to access your LCA email before school starts as well! Your email will also serve as your WiFi log-in credentials.
All new families should have received student email account information from our technology office. If you have not received your student email information or need help with this, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need to have my own computer for school?
Yes! All upper school students must “Bring Your Own Device” (B.Y.O.D.) to school every day. Students usually have a Windows laptop, Apple MacBook, or Chromebook. iPads are not recommended. Be sure you can log in successfully to your Portal and email accounts from your own device before orientation on Convocation Day. If you need assistance acquiring a device, please speak with our IT department (email@example.com)